Whats for dinner? Tonight it’s Arroz Con Pollo, also known as Chicken and Rice. It takes about an hour to make and it’s full of flavor that your family will love. Here’s how you make it.
You will need
- Large oven safe cooking pot with oven safe lid
- 3-5 chicken leg & thighs
- Rice (20 minute kind) – 1 cup uncooked
- Onion – 1 white or yellow -chopped
- Bell Peppers – 1 green and 1 red, yellow or orange pepper – chopped
- 1 can petite small diced tomatoes
- Capers (1.5 tbsp)
- Olives (1/4 cup)
- Garlic (4 cloves chopped)
- Garlic Powder (2 tsp)
- Cumin (1 tsp)
- Smoked Paprika (1 tsp)
- Oregano (2 tsp)
- Black Pepper (1 tsp)
- Lemon juice (2 tsp)
- Frozen Peas 3/4 cup
- Chicken Broth (3.75 cups)
- Cooking oil (Canola or Olive oil)
Here’s how to make it:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Heat the pan on medium high heat, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and brown the chicken. About 5 minutes, flip it, and let it cook for another 5 minutes to brown each side.
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add the chopped bell peppers and cook for another 8 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, stir, and cook for 4 minutes
- Add the broth, lemon juice, rice, spices, olives, capers and peas. Stir to distribute evenly and add the chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil on the stove top.
- Transfer to the oven and cook at 350 for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes and serve.
- You may want to shred the chicken before serving the little ones at the table
Your family will be full, happy, and hungry for this dish again. I’d love to hear how your’s came out, leave me a message and share your experience.